Date:      Tue,  6 Nov 2001 10:58:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Holger.Kipp@alogis.com
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;

ÿôÿý
Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files.i386 files.pc98

* Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> [011106 05:57]:
> > When you get new sources, it is usually a good idea.
> >
> > And generally, when you have a buildworld failure,
> >
> >   # cvsup -L2 -g your-supfile
> >   # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
> >   # cd /usr/src
> >   # make cleandir && make cleandir
> >
> > Are some things to try before going to the mail lists.
> I was under the, apparently mistaken, impression that make world
> kernel took care of making sure all the cruft was deleted/re-synced
> from /usr/src to /usr/obj.

I had the same problem. After trying all the usual things -
including these, I finally got it to work. I also found out
how to reproduce the error again. Here goes:

No error:
# cd /usr/src
# make update
# <things from above>
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=BSD
# make installkernel KERNCONF=BSD

(works perfectly)

With errors:
(Installation the old way)
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# config BSD
# cd ../../compile/BSD
# make depend
# make
[...] =>
===> kernfs
===> kue
===> lge
===> libmchain
===> linux
cc -O -pipe   -D_KERNEL .... -ansi -c linux_sysent.c
In file included from linux_sysent.c:14:
linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before `linux_time_t'
linux_proto.h:57: `linux_time_t' undeclared here (not in a function)
linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before `)'
linux_proto.h:57: `linux_time_t' undeclared here (not in a function)
linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before `)'
linux_proto.h:156: syntax error before `linux_handler_t'
[...]
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/linux.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/BSD.

So it looks like make buildkernel from /usr/src works, but
make from /usr/src/sys/compile/<KERNELNAME> doesn't.

Sources are cvsupped 06.11.2001 if that is of interest

Regards,
Holger Kipp