Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:05:44 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Run Output

Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 3:18=E2=80=AFPM Gerard E. Seibert <jerry@seiberco=
m.net>
> wrote:
>
>> For quite some time now, I have been receiving a warning message of
>> 1025 packages with mismatched checksums in the daily "Security Run
>> Output" email. They are all prefixed with "py39-"
>>
>> I don't want to wast time posting the entire list here, but it is
>> available upon request if someone wants it. My question is, how do I
>> correct this problem? This is a FreeBSD 13.1-release-p7 machine.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> <quote>
>
> pkg check -r or pkg check --recompute recalculates and sets the checksums
>     of installed packages. This command should only be used when the admi=
n-
>     istrator has made modifications that invalidate a package checksum.
>     Spontaneous checksum problems can indicate data or security problems.
>
> </quote>

I use that when I change config files for packages, but I have also had
files show up in that list when I haven't changed them.  Those have been
very rare, but I have fixed them by re-installing the packages
containing those files.  You can use pkg check -s to verify which
package is the problem.

--=20
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org