Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:44:11 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        marko@cs.uni-frankfurt.de
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio0: X events for device with no tp

> I was using 2.2.5+PAO and am running -stable now. The PCCARD modem I
> use is a Megahertz XJ3288i.
>
> When I insert the modem it is correctly identified
>
> Mar  7 00:25:13 kinetic /kernel: Card inserted, slot 0
> Mar  7 00:25:24 kinetic /kernel: sio1: type 16550A
>
> and I have iijppp configured to automatically start at modem
> insertion. BUT unless I disable sio0 at boot I get
>
> Mar  7 00:09:28 kinetic /kernel: sio1: type 16550A
> Mar  7 00:09:50 kinetic /kernel: sio0: 64 events for device with no tp

Do you only get these if you have first run Windows/DOS?

What sort of laptop are you using?  Does it have an internal serial
port?

The messages are artifacts from the FIFO probe, but they show up too
late, which normally means your serial interface works in an odd fashion.

> when I try to use the modem. It does work, but the "events with no tp"
> seem to make transfers very slow.

If the modem is actually showing up on sio0, then it's possible that
things are conflicting.  Have you tried changing the configuration to
move it to another port address?