Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 97 18:56:54 -0800
From:      "Mike Burgett" <mburgett@awen.com>
To:        "dg@root.com" <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:29:28 -0800, David Greenman wrote:

>In order to update the memory, the ECC must be recalculated over
>the entire 64bit quadword. This escentially means that you have to read
>the memory first, apply the changes/calculate the new ECC and then write
>it back. Obviously, this makes memory writes quite a bit slower.

Ummm. Hmmmm. Doesn't the memory subsystem interact with the L2 cache on a
per-line basis anyway? IOW, a cache line is read in anytime a byte is
accessed, and when it's time to write, the line is either dirty, or it isn't,
and if it is, the whole thing is burst back to memory anyway...

I thought the (slight) performance penalty was to allow a clock or two for the
new ECC to be calculated, not because a write occurred.

Then again, maybe it's just me. :) (Or maybe the PC is different from other
hardware I've been more intimate with...)

--Mike