Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:51:05 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mike Makonnen" <mike_bsdlists@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help about dialup server

A couple of observations that that may or may not be relevant to your
situation ....
Netcomm modems (common in OZ & maybe elsewhere too) come in several
"grades" .... for some reason that escapes me the lowest one has the "call
answer"
facility disabled by default and I've never seen it enabled totally
sucessfully using the
relevant AT command. Maybe the modem you have is a similar "consumer grade"
one and the manufacturers had the same idea that users would never want to
use a
"call answer" facility ... might be worth asking them anyway :)

A second issue thats turned up here lately is the latest generation of
external WebExcel
modems (the shiny sorta chrome plated things that look like the designer
also does UFO
design in his spare time)  ..... they DON'T like long term connections &
overheat badly
after a few hours causing all sorts of weird connection issues. The problem
appears to be
caused by lack of ventilation & the best solution is to return it to whence
it came and ask
for a different brand that will work on a permanent modem service.