Date:      Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:39:14 -0500
From:      Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [nvi-iconv]Call for test

Hi, hackers:

My GSoC2011 project, "Multibyte Encoding Support in Nvi" is ready for
testing. The proposal of the project is here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/zy/1

The project creates a multibyte fork of the BSD-licensed nvi editor.
It adds only 1 dependence, libiconv, =C2=A0to nvi-1.79, which presents in
our base system currently. And the libiconv is included in -current's
libc.

The patch and the instruction of using the patch is at
https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/wiki . Note that your -current box
needs to be built WITH_ICONV=3D1 to include libiconv in libc. And such a
knob enables iconv support in the new nvi at the same time.

The patch will create contrib/nvi2, and it will not remove the unused
contrib/nvi (patch(1) can not really remove files anyway).

So for the next week, the feature set of the new nvi is frozen. I'll
just wait for your testing reports and fix possible bugs. Thank you
for giving me the opportunity to participate in GSoC.

--
Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray
4BSD -- http://4bsd.biz/