Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:30:21 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Terry Glanfield" <terry@ppsl.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Tunnel loopback

Terry

I'm still trying to figure out what you are doing and how you are doing it.
It looks as if you have a fbsd box with an nic interface with SKIP attached
to it.  All outbound packets are routed (static/dynamic) first to the tun0
interface which is in turn diverted by an ipfw rule to natd where source
address substitution is (possibly) performed before returning to ipfw and
thence to SKIP where, if an ACL entry is matched, the packet is
encrypted/authenticated/encapsulated and sent out the nic interface to a
(perhaps) modified destination.  Returning packets are deSKIPped and, due to
the destination address now being the tun0 interface are processed by the
same ipfw divert rule to restore the destination address to that of the
connection originator.

My interpretation sounds weak and incomplete.  I am hoping that you will
shed some light on the process or even provide a more complete example.

Thanks.