Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:10:37 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libXO-ification - Why - and is it a symptom of deeper issues?

> On Nov 15, 2015, at 10:05, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 2015-11-15 07:54, Dan Partelly wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> I was looking at the new facility of dumping JSON,XML from many utils in b=
ase and after some funny minutes, I couldn't stop ask myself =81g Ok, this i=
s funny , but why ? =81g And I couldn't find a real answer. Ill outline what=
 I think:
>>=20
>>=20
>> 1. Undoubtedly, it makes base code slightly harder to understand and main=
tain.
>=20
> I am not sure that libxo actually makes the code any harder to
> understand and maintain. It might actually make it slightly better.
>=20
> replacing:
>=20
> printf("%s %s %d\n", foo, bar, number);
>=20
> with:
>=20
> xo_emit("{:foo/%s} {:bar/%s} {:number/%d}", foo, bar, number);
>=20
> it not really hurting much.

That's by and large true, but there are other APIs that need to be called on=
 exit (xo_finish?) and in other scenarios where flushing, etc is needed. If y=
ou don't do that, you don't get the output you expect (which broke uptime/w s=
everal months ago..).

Also, typos with the meta language into the xo_emit calls have bit is more t=
han once ;(.=