Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 11:18:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: html files [Re: texinfo changes ready]

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I agree, but would lobby for /usr/local/share/doc/html rather
>  * than /usr/local/share/html.
>
> Yeah, that's probably better.
>
> By the way, the subdirectory should be package name minus version
> number, just like /usr/local/share/doc.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit, I'm going to disagree
with my suggestion and suggest /usr/local/share/doc, omitting the
html level because modern web browser are pretty adept at
handling other file types as well, so why not put them all
together?  Building the /usr/local/share/doc/index.html is a
simple matter of scanning subdirectories for index.html files and
extracting their titles.  For subdirectories without index.html
files, just use the package name.

If each entry is one one line, link removal upon package remvoal
is a trivial sed operation.

  <title>Local documentation</title>

  <ul>
  </ul>