Date:      Sat,  7 Nov 1998 16:58:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mbuf usage

   I've been noticing that my Alpha has a whole lot more memory devoted
to mbufs than my other machines of similar -current vintage.  Under
little to no use a netstat -m gives

132/320 mbufs in use
  95 mbufs allocated to data
  63 mbufs allocated to headers

..
352Kbytes allocated to network (30% in use)

  I'm used to seeing figured of near 0 when my other machines have been
idling (and considering I'm not running any large servers, I rarely see
anything approaching those numbers).  One practical upshot of this is
that on builds from an NFS mounted dir even just a plain ports build
will generally fail with mbuf exhaustion.  I know i could probably up my
mbuf counts, but it would seem to me that either we're leaking or not
making good use of our space.  (And actaully, at times when I've hit
mbuf exhaustion, rebooting was the only way to set things straight :/)

  Is NFS just a known bug at the moment?