Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:21:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bob Vaughan <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware compatability with Flex ATX systems

> To: freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Hardware compatability with Flex ATX systems
> From: bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:50:58 -0800
>

> I was browsing in Fry's the other day (for the uninitiated, it's a chain
> of electronic/computer stores in the SF Bay Area, with a few stores in
> other locations too).  They happen to carry the Shuttle SV24 and the
> FICA Sabre 1815; these are both Flex ATX motherboards in physically
> small cases.  I was thinking that either of them might make a nice,
> inexpensive workstation (add processor, memory, and disk).
>
> http://www.shuttleonline.com/sv24.htm
> http://www.fica.com/products/systems/Databook/Sabre1815/Sabre1815.stm
>
> I was wondering if anyone's had any experience (good or bad) with
> running FreeBSD on either of these systems?

I have one of the FICA boxes, running 4-stable.. seems to work just fine..
I also have a friend who has one, and he also seems to like it.  Good small
box for semi-portable use.

I also saw the SV24 after I bought the FICA, and was considering it as
another small box, until I took a closer look, and saw a RealTek 8139
as the ethernet chipset. (read the comments in /usr/src/sys/pci/if_rl.c)
(basicly, there is nothing good to say about it, except that it is dirt
cheap, which isn't a redeeming factor in this case.)

Needless to say, I stopped looking at that point. I saw no reason to subject
myself to RealJunk, and the associated headaches. (the FICA box has an Intel
chipset.)

The other thing I noticed about the SV24 was that it would be a real pain to
add any expansion cards to the box, such as a real display controller, or
additional ethernet, or a video capture card, all of which I have (or will
soon have) in the FICA box. The chassis has a cutout for a card, but there
appears to be no place in the box to put it.

Bob Vaughan  | techie@{w6yx|tantivy}.stanford.edu | kc6sxc@w6yx.ampr.org
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --