Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:45:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 12:41:45PM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > May be a bug in PPP.  Brian is in the throws of incorporating ISDN support
> > into PPP, and I had problems with his Saturday version.
>
> can anyone throw some light on what sort of (isdn) hardware will be
> supported, thier isnt a lot of choice here in australia.
>
> isdn is still a very expensive proposition here, and so
> hardware is scarce and fairly esoteric, 'twas last time i
> looked about 9 to 14 months ago from memory.

Now that Australia is migrating to Onramp (ETSI based?) there's a better
chance that more equipment will be compatible. Testing and certification
for legal use here is another matter, of course...

I use a TA220 ISDN modem which I believe is a rebadged Motorola - it has 2
serial ports (one per 64k circuit - not sure about elsewhere but in
Australia a standard Microlink or Onramp2 has a couple of 64k circuits), a
2 line LCD display and a keypad. I'm using it in AT mode which means that
for all intents and purposes it's just a normal analog modem - ATDT to
dial, CONNECT 64000 etc... it works on both Microlink and Onramp2.

Mine was given to me (in fact it's probably more a loan) so I don't know
the exact price.

The TA440 is apparently the successor, but at the price Telstra quoted me
(something like $1450 for the 2 port version) it might be cheaper just
buying a low end Cisco. Of course you lose the flexibility of an open
source router then...

I believe Tennyson also make TA modems (www.tennyson.com.au), and you can
buy Netjet ISDN cards (not sure if Netjet is the brand or model name) but
these don't yet support FreeBSD. "Real Soon Now", they promise.

In reality though, setup costs pale into relative insignificance when you
consider the long term (~$250/month) running costs for an Onramp2 with a
64k data call cap.

> ps, hello, rowan.

G'day. :)

Cheers.