Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 18:32:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Strickland <karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.x - can it run in 4Mb?

Im interested in installing FreeBSD 2.x on a 486/33 with only 4Mb of ram.
The box acts as a dedicated internet router, routing between sl0 and two
ethernet boards.

The box currently runs 1.1.1.5, but from time to time, it hangs.  (no
trap, no panic, no clues on console etc..)  Im wondering if an upgrade
to 2.x will cure this.  Will 2.x run in only 4Mb of ram?  Are there any
reasons to suppose it will run 'better' in 4Mb than 1.x did?

I suspect these hangs are due to a shortage of physical memory, as they
are far less frequent on my main machines with 16Mb/20Mb/30Mb of RAM.

Cheers,
Karl
--
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland