Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:22:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>, Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: compat6x

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Sunday 03 December 2006 09:58, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>>
>> And we're going to enable symbol versioning which also
>> requires all libraries to have their version bumped
>> regardless.  Once we have symbol versioning, we will
>> not have to bump library versions again (at least
>> in the libraries that are symbol versioned - libc,
>> libm, libthr, libptthread).
>
> Yes, but it doesn't hurt to just bump things now.  I actually agree with
> John's argument that it is beneficial to allow folks on current to safely
> use -stable apps by doing the library bump at first breakage.  Granted, after
> 7.0 that policy will be obsolete, but it is still relevant for 7-current. :)
> Heck, why not just enable symbol versioning in current by default now
> anyways?

I'm waiting until after the GCC import because that should
change the way dependencies are recorded in shared libraries,
which really would force everyone to rebuild everything all
over again.  After the GCC import, we should bump all the
libraries and enable symbol versioning, and hopefully you'll
only have to rebuild things once.

--
DE