Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:39:34 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook update for 'make world'

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:14:58PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:

> I don't have any objection to any of this, but I think it might be
> nice to at least put in the text a) that a change in recommendation
> has been made, and b) why.  Something like 'the sequence that includes
> "make buildworld/make installworld" is now preferred to the previously
> documented usage "make world".  The latter skips some steps that may or
> may not be necessary in certain circumstances; the former includes all
> steps that are necessary in any circumstance, and is thus less likely
> to lead to unsatisfactory results.'

How is this as a warning at the top (right after saying you should read
the mailing lists):

    <warning>

      <para>A lot of older documentation recommends using
        <command>make world</command> for this.  Doing that skips
        some important steps and should only be used if you are
        sure of what you are doing.  For almost all circumstances
        <command>make world</command> is the wrong thing to do, and
        the procedure described here should be used instead.</para>
    </warning>

[Cut-and-paste probably didn't preserve tabs...]

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu