Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:23:56 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ia64 stable/10 r286316: hang at Entering /boot/kernel/kernel

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 01:12:16PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> ia64 stable/10 r286315 boots, but
> r286316 hangs at "Entering /boot/kernel/kernel".
>
> Please advise

To state an obvious thing.  The commit which you pointed to, changes
the code which is not executed at that early kernel boot stage.  The
revision cannot cause the consequences you described.

I think that you either have build-environment issue which randomly pops
up, or there is some other boot-time issue which is sporadic.  The only
suggestion I have, try many boots with kernels which look either good
or bad, I would be not surprised if statistic would be completely
different from binary good/bad outcome.

Otherwise, I do not have an idea.