Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2012 13:21:37 +0200
From:      Seth Mos <seth.mos@dds.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6rd status

Op 2-4-2012 8:54, Seth Mos schreef:
> Op 29-3-2012 16:44, Seth Mos schreef:
>> Hi,
>>
> Only to reply to myself here, I've not seen response yet.

Replying to myself again.

I confirm that the 6rd patch to stf from hrs@ indeed works as advertised.

The Charter and Sakura 6rd relays do not employ filtering which means
these can be used from everywhere in the world.

Sakura is about 500ms and Charter about 200ms from where I tested which
limits the usability.

One that thing that must be noted is that the patch does not support
RFC5969 Standards track support 6rd.

This uses a variable length for both the 6rd prefix and the v4 prefix
length as long as it fits in the left 64 bits.

 From the RFC. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5969

|     n bits    |    o bits    |   m bits  |    128-n-o-m bits      |
+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------------------+
|  6rd prefix   | IPv4 address | subnet ID |     interface ID       |
+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------------------+
|<--- 6rd delegated prefix --->|

There is a dutch ISP rolling out with a 6rd prefix of 41 bits and a IPv4
prefix length of 17 bits resulting in a /56 delegated prefix for each
user. (41 + (32 - 17)) = 56

The current 6rd patch does not provide such a facility from my limited
testing.

Theoretically it might work providing the IPv6 prefix and gateway are
calculated with that math in mind. But I don't have the network to
confirm this. This might be easy to support.

Regards,

Seth