Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:33:17 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Milan Obuch <current@dino.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscons not running?

Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 01:46, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>
>>Milan Obuch wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I am testing 7.0-CURRENT on my TabletPC TC1000. For some time I am
>>>getting $SUBJECT messages when booting - just after 'Starting devd.'
>>>line. Next comes 'Configuring syscons: blanktime.' line. So question is -
>>>what does $SUBJECT line mean? Is it error? Serious? Harmless? Does not
>>>makes much sense to me. By the way, today I do full system rebuild
>>>exactly as described
>>>in /usr/src/Makefile from sources cvsupped today morning.
>>
>>you did not give us more details about your setup. i assume that you are
>>   booting your system with the usb keyboard attached.
>>
>>imo, 'syscons not running?' message is harmless. it is caused by
>>
>>/etc/rc.syscons restart
>>
>>part of the ukbd(4) attach 'action' in /etc/devd.conf.
>
> Yes, you are right - there is detachable keyboard connected via USB on TC1000.
> Any more details on my setup useful to analyse this further? I can live with
> this, if it is harmless...

no, i do not need any more information on your setup.

> However, this message gets written on screen even when booting with this
> keyboard detached. At least once.

it should not happen. do you have "keyboard=.." in your /etc/rc.conf?

> There is no /etc/rc.syscons - at least at my system. I assume you
> mean /etc/rc.d/syscons.

yes, /etc/rc.d/syscons. sorry for the typo

> I did test it couple of times without keyboard, again, and this time message
> disappeared. With USB keyboard attached back, message reappears. So I think
> your idea is correct. Just a question - if it is not a bug, why this message
> at all?

devd(8) is started before syscons. when ukbd(4) is present during boot,
devd(8) will get an event and will try to execute 'action'. like i said
before, the attach 'action' for ukbd(4) has '/etc/rc.d/syscons restart'
in it. 'restart' is implemented as 'stop' and then 'start'. because
syscons was not started yet, the 'stop' action will "fail" (not real
failure) and the message will be printed.

> By the way, when doing these tests, once there was a problem - after attaching
> USB keyboard after booting, kernel detected ukbd0 arriving, but keyboard was
> 'dead' - no response to typing. After detaching it and attaching again, it
> worked. No idea why - but no idea anyway, how can I debug such a situation.

are you using kbdmux(4)?

thanks,
max