Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:02:31 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ServeRAID M5210e passthroughand syspd corruption

On Feb 28, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:

>> I know, unfortunately this brain dead (unless proven otherwise) IBM
>> machine doesn't seem to allow me to use a proper HBA.
>=20
> Not PCI slots at all then?

No, it was purchased in a funny configuration. Well, would be great if =
it worked. The
PCIe raiser card which would offer three slots is replaced by a =
contraption with two disks
and a LSI HBA (that's one of the "mps" ones but just with one =
connector).

The front of the  machine has 24 slots for 2.5" disks. IBM makes them so =
that you can use
the two "back" disks for the OS, with a simple mirroring support, and =
all of the front mounted
disks for storage.=20

The concept is nice, *but* if only the "Invader" (that's indeed a proper =
name!) could
behave like a good HBA...

>=20
>> That said, since I asked for assistance in 2007 and Scott Long =
explained
>> how to turn an aac card into a passthrough device I have machines =
running
>> like a charm. I am sure I can trust ZFS to detect any problems due to =
that
>> setup.
>=20
> Some older LSI controllers (both these are LSI underneath) had both a =
RAID
> and HBA firmware however new cards don't have this option.

I've done it with aac cards with the same results. Seems the bad apple =
is this "Invader" thingy.

>> When you said you're seeing mfisyspd corruption what specifically are
>> you seeing?
>=20
>> I described some of the problems several days ago, in short, either =
using
>> ZFS or UFS on one of those "mfisyspd" devices or a "da" created by =
allowing
>> passthrough to work and running a benchmark, I get data corruption. =
No data
>> corruption happens if I create a "raid 0" device on one disk.=20
>=20
> Specifics on this would be interesting, as there used be corruption =
issues
> with > 2TB disks on MFI but we fixed that quite some time ago.

All of the disks are smaller than 2 TB.

The exact models involved are:

Samsung SSD 840 BB0Q (1 TB)
OCZ-VERTEX4 1.5 (500 MB)

and for the hard disk, a Dell branded Seagate (ST9146803SS)

>> I've tried with Samsung and OCZ SSDs and, just wondering if it might =
be a
>> SSD specific problem of some sort, a Seagate disk. No luck.
>=20
> We have a few machines in production here using MFI in passthrough via
> mfisyspd0 on ZFS and haven't seen any issues. In our case its a =
ThunderBolt
> not a Invader generation card so if could be there's a problem with
> Invader chipset support.

The problem with mfisyspd (anyway, the Invader is corrupting using da =
and mfisyspd) is that, as far
as I know, it won't support TRIM nor quircks (such as 4K blocks) for =
SSDs.

Anyway, as I said, neither the syspd nor the "brute force" approach are =
working)

>> With so many manufacturers (even Sun!) tending including these =
controllers
>> on their motherboards, and even refusing to sell alternative options =
(who
>> wants a "software RAID" when you can get "a hardware one", they say) =
>> think that it would be good to make sure that passthrough mode is =
supported
>> in the best possible way.
>=20
> We just ensure we go with HBA card if required.

Yes, I think the  solution will be to kick "turnkey, Windows oriented" =
manufacturers such as Dell and
IBM and specify the servers to the component level. Again, from my =
experience, it can be quite a pain.=20

>> Maybe we could lobby the LSI Overlords, the manufacturers, both, or =
just
>> try to make the best possible use of the most commonly found =
hardware.
>=20
>=20
> Can't say we've had an issue, Dell, Supermicro all have options for =
HBA
> you just need to know the model numbers, which can be quite confusing.

Of course. We've had some problems with Dell, though. I remember telling =
a Dell
sales rep to just shut up and serve the card I have ordered, period. =
Sigh.

> One chassis to avoid is the Dell C6220 series as it fails on 6Gbps =
speeds
> due to bad wiring.

Thanks, useful information!!

Borja.