Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:38:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        don@calis.blacksun.org (Don)
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de (Bernd Walter), grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

Don wrote...
> > The Limit of 7 partionions is not of any interest if you use vinum.
> > Vinum should be able to manage in 1 partion more volumes than you will want.
> Ok nevermind :) Either way vinum is not up to snuff. It still has a way to
> go before it can be used in a production environment. My question then
> becomes what causes the 7 (partition, mount point, slice, whatever) limit?
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris all share this limitation. Since they only
> share UFS (AFAIK) I had assumed it was the fault of UFS.

Actually, it's technically 8 partitions, a-h, but c is "special", and
shouldn't normally be used.

This is a disklabel limitation, not a filesystem limitation.  I believe
that Solaris x86 may be able to do 16 partitions (or so a guy at Sun told
me).

With FreeBSD at least, if you use 4 DOS-type primary partitions, or slices,
you can stick a disklabel on each slice and have up to 32 partitions.  I've
got machine with 3 slices in use on one disk, and 6 partitions per slice in
use on that disk, for a total of 18 partitions in use.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org