Date:      31 May 2002 06:55:19 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HSFLinModem: Anyone want to help teach me how?

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 03:43, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     I've just joined this list in the last few days, but was wondering
> > if anyone out there wanted to help teach me how I/we could port the HSF
> > LinModem code from LINUX to FreeBSD.  I have one of the recognized PCI
> > ID's in my Laptop, but don't even know where to start with interfacing
> > with the FreeBSD kernel.
> >
> >     I'm willing to do it, but I've never done Kernel programming before.
> > I'm also very willing to help test.
>
> Start with the Rockwell supplied Linux drivers.  They actually have
> a BSD compatible source license, so they could be included with a
> BSD ditribution in binary form, without making the kernel illegal
> due to clause 6 of the GPL being incompatible with BSD licenses.
>
> Also, make sure that you have the right identification from Windows
> or some other method.  I have a modem in my laptop that most UNIX
> software claims is an HSF, but is in reality an HCF (e.g. almost
> all Sony laptops in recent history have a Rockwell (Connectix) HCF
> in them).
>
> Note that Rockwell has HCF drivers for Linux, in source code, under
> the same BSD-happy license, for download from their web site.
I'm aware of this, and have the code, but I'm very confused as to how to
connect the dots from the Linux code to the FreeBSD kernel and drivers.

The PCI ID that FreeBSD mentions as unknown is one of the mentioned ones
in the doc.  Now, how do I determine what to do from here?

As I said, I've never done kernel/driver stuff (But am willing to
learn).

This is on a Fujitsu Lifebook C-6651, if that matters, with the Intel
chips (ICH).

Thanks for the reply.

LER