Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:41:31 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALT-<sp> (Was: how to make 'for' understand two words as a single argumen)

In message <20011002185518.A335@firedrake.org>, void cleopede:
>On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:19:37AM -0700, Greg Shenaut wrote:
>>
>> Is there any reason why the "unbreakable space" (0xa0) shouldn't be
>> the only kind of space character used/allowed in filenames?
>
>Any character except for '/' is allowed in filenames, and I believe it's
>been that way since the dawn of time.

Yes, but I mention it because if 0xa0 were used instead of space
in filenames, then they wouldn't be split into several arguments
and nothing special would need to be done in "for x in * ;" loops
or elsewhere to handle them, but the names would still look the same
to users.

I just throw out the idea--as for where to enforce such a convention,
I agree that the file-system definition may not be the best place,
but it might be the *easiest* place (spaces could be silently mapped
to 0xa0's).

Greg Shenaut