Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:40:37 -0500
From:      "Philip R. Moyer" <pmoyer@hyperon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   -STABLE upgrade question (disk devices)

I'm upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 (-STABLE) and I have a couple
of questions regarding the disk devices.  The procedure for
doing an upgrade to 4.0 (from /usr/src/UPDATING) is:

1.  cd /usr/src
2.  make buildworld
3.  cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
4.  make install
5.  cd /usr/src/sys/modules
6.  make install
7.  cd /usr/src
8.  make buildkernel KERNEL=<kernel name>
9.  make installkernel KERNEL=<kernel name>
10. chflags noschg /kernel
11. mv /kernel /kernel.3_4
12. mv /<kernel name> /kernel
13. chflags schg /kernel
14. cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV
15. for N in list of disks
	MAKEDEV N
	for M in list of slices
		MAKEDEV NsMa
16. reboot single
17. cd /usr/src
18. make -DNOINFO installworld
19. make installworld
20. reboot multi

My questions are in step 15.

I've done an ls in /dev and made a list of all the disk-related
devices.  Is that what I should use (it's appended)?  Should I
remake the devices for the raw disks, too (e.g., rwd0)?

Cheers,
Phil

Here's the list of disk devices on my system:
da0
da0s1
da0s2
da0s3