Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:09:47 +0000
From:      Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>
To:        Michal Meloun <melounmichal@gmail.com>
Cc:        Sylvain Garrigues <sylvain@sylvaingarrigues.com>, mmel@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is CPUTYPE=cortex-A7 supposed to work?
References:  <871suc3nv8.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <CANCZdfq4EwH%2B_9FVNai8s6Y-gdTjHJ8dNkJwSrnF%2BSAkdwvYdg@mail.gmail.com> <8737ely05c.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <CANCZdfpftVHaPahTOP0vxB-FR%2BKtpqY9JMJr=F2DGifD0fhKMQ@mail.gmail.com> <87wpbxw3yd.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <79EBD44B-2C2D-4394-A90C-DF494A049F20@dsl-only.net> <E6BC9F77-F65B-4918-9E22-3BFECA268E30@sylvaingarrigues.com> <674facba-68cd-8ce1-887a-1ef3c51520bc@freebsd.org> <ED8405B6-1150-4A9C-AD93-5C74306FB361@sylvaingarrigues.com> <67504df9-9452-3ad3-b3b0-01d1a03727cc@freebsd.org>

 Michal> Is this enough to confirm that the FPU instructions in a signal
 Michal> handler is not used so frequently?

Actually what it confirms is that it's rare for applications to use
signal delivery heavily.

Emacs is a notorious exception to this, since it has used SIGIO since
time immemorial to have incoming keystrokes interrupt terminal redisplay
(important on slow serial terminals, oh the nostalgia) and it kept the
same basic design when moving to X, so it now gets SIGIO on X events,
resulting in hundreds of signal deliveries just from moving the mouse
past its window. To say that this is not normal application behaviour
would be a massive understatement.

The problem manifests in git clone despite the fact that signal delivery
is infrequent there simply because it spends so much of its time
executing the vectorized SHA1 block update; again, normal applications
don't do this kind of thing, and are likely to use the VFP/NEON
registers too transiently for there to be a significant chance of
detectable corruption. Even most crypto apps wouldn't often take a
signal delivery while running crypto code.

As an example, I happen to be very familiar with PostgreSQL, which by
normal standards (as opposed to Emacs standards) is a fairly heavy user
of signals, and I don't think I could come up with a reliable
demonstration of it being affected by this bug (except maybe by using
SSL client connections).  What I _would_ expect is that pgsql running on
affected systems would experience a very slow rate of subtle data
corruption problems, which might or might not ever be noticed.

--
Andrew.