Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:51:26 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@freebsd.org

> >> "Fixing" this is very difficult and would require a rewrite of the code
> >> involved.
> >
> >Why would this:
> >
> >	void
> >	update_every_3_sec()
> >	{
> >		static int i;
> >
> >		for all buffers {
> >			if ((blockno % 10) == i)
> >				write it
> >		}
> >		i = ++i % 10;
> >	}
> >
> >give more io traffic ?
>
>    Because delayed write buffers are delayed for a reason. It's the
> expectation that additional data/changes will be made to the buffer before
> it is written out. In the case where stuff is being appended to files via
> small writes (like log files, for instance), doing an update 10 times more
> often may very well increase the number of writes by 10 times.

I still don't follow you.

Are we talking about the same thing ?

The mean time between updates for any one particular buffer is still
30 seconds, so how can this change so much ?  We just stage the
writes instead of doing them all at the same time.

Unless you can show me where we prefer buffers with a particular last
decimal digit in their block-numbers then I have a hard time beliving
your results...

I had a patch (crude hack really) for this back in Pleasant Hill but I have
no idea where to find it now, but it didn't show any adverse effects for me,
quite the contrary...  It cured the hangs I had, which was the kind
which would be signalled by a significant rattle from the disks...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.