Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:46:29 +0300
From:      Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stale dependencies and portupgrade

Vivek Khera wrote:
> Example:  p5-Expect used to depend on p5-IO-Stty which was removed from
> ports recently.  rt36 depends on p5-Expect, so got a transitive
> dependency to this dead port.  Upgrading p5-Expect using "portupgrade
> -Rr" took care of the direct dependency, but the upstream ports still
> had the registered dependency to p5-IO-Stty.  I had to force-uninstall
> that port then run "pkgdb -F" to remove that dependency.

You could portupgrade -f for these ports not just deinstall them.
Did pkgdb -F not fix the situation if you ran it before deinstalling the
ports (you should have a fresh INDEX here)?

> Similarly, with a portupgrade of portupgrade itself, most of my machines
> lost the dependency to ruby18-bdb1 package.  The only way out of that
> was to do a delete of portupgrade and run a fresh make install in the
> port directory.

Run make showconfig in sysutils/portupgrade directory on the machines to
be sure you did not turn WITH_BDB1 off accidentally.

> I suppose the bug is that I expected portupgrade -Rr to recompute the
> dependency lists of the upstream ports to take into account any changing
> dependencies of the updated port.

portupgrade -Rr do not recompute dependencies. It do port upgrading.
Feel the difference.

--
Dixi.
Sem.