Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 1995 13:53:29 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> > Here are some more minor points about the October 5 cut of 2.1.  Some
> > are important, others are just FYI.
> >
> > 1. If a CD-ROM is specified in /etc/fstab, and there is no CD in the
> >    drive, the mount will fail and rc will abort.  This doesn't make
> >    much sense, especially for people who don't understand the
> >    background.
> >
> >    I'd like some feedback on whether you would like to change this,
> >    since otherwise I need to talk about it in my book.
>
> This is a known bug, and it would appear that nobody is particularly
> keen to change it.  I beat my chest about it several times and
> everybody involved just sort of waffled on it until the subject died
> down again.  Until then, I may just take the automount of the CDROM
> out of /etc/fstab and have people do it by hand.  I hate this, but I
> lack the time to go fix whatever stupidity it is in our system that
> prevents the system from coming up whenever a CDROM isn't in the
> drive.  Unless we fix it, /cdrom is coming out of the default fstab
> in 2.1.  Better a system that comes up without a CDROM rather than
> one that doesn't!

I kind of remember someone either working on or asking about an
amd.map which would automount the CD.  I think this would
be preferable to actually mounting the CD, because it could better
handle media changes and such stuff.  Also if you gratitiously mount
whatever CD is in the drive and I want to change it, I'd have to
manually unmount it, then change it and manually remount it. (but you'd
probably have to do that anyway)  Anyway someone could, in theory
come up with a pretty fancy amd map that could detect media changes
and do the right thing.  I just wish I knew more about amd maps :(.

> > 3. I'd like to see a few more things on the standard installation.
> >    Linux "everything" really does install everything; FreeBSD
> >    "everything" misses out things which I consider essential, such as
> >    bash, less and emacs.
>
> The problem is that all 3 packages you name aren't distributions at
> all, they're packages.  If you're saying that I should make up some
> "fake distributions" that do nothing more than try to add packages, I
> guess that's possible.  What do the others think?

That'd be a good idea, sort of a meta-package (I think that I saw
a reference to that a while back too).

> > 6. The bootstrap on the floppy includes the visual editor feature, but
> >    the bootstrap installed on disk doesn't.  Is this deliberate?
> >    Should I document it?
>
> Huh?  Eh?  Are you sure?  For one thing, the visual editor isn't even
> *in* the bootstrap, it's in the kernel!  I use the same kernel for
> both floppy and disk, so this would be seriously strange if it were
> really happening this way for you!  I've tested it here and it works
> just fine in both scenarios.

The snapshot from 10-05 exhibits this behavior, you can use visual
config from the original floppy kernel, but not when you boot from
disk. userconfig.c from the source of that snapshot is 1.28.4.1
(meaning that built kernels don't have visual userconfig either)

> 					Jordan

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com