Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:41:20 -0200
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        Monthadar Al Jaberi <monthadar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routerboard RB433AH

On 7 December 2012 12:27, Monthadar Al Jaberi <monthadar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for being too late, have you solved this issue?
>
> br,
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM, John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a RB433AH that is not doing anything and was wondering if one
>> can run FreeBSD on it. For a start I thought of just a NFS boot. I
>> started with the AR71XX_BASE  config file and removed the USB and
>> other stuff that I think I do not need and can get it load the kernel
>> and start it. But it looks like there is a problem with the ethernet
>> because I get stuck at:
>>
>> Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
>> Sending DHCP Discover packet from interface arge0 (00:0c:42:90:f9:de)
>> arge0: link state changed to DOWN
>> arge0: link state changed to UP
>> DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
>> DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
>>
>> This just keeps on repeating.
>>
>> Maybe I need some specific setup for the ethernet / phy. Anybody with
>> ideas?

Yeah, sorry for the delay...

It's been a while since the last boot of my RB433UAH, so my kernel and
hints are not really updated.

But back then, i have this setup for the PHYs:

# arge0
hint.arge.0.at="nexus0"
hint.arge.0.maddr=0x19000000
hint.arge.0.msize=0x1000
hint.arge.0.irq=2
# PHY0, PHY1
hint.arge.0.phymask=0x03

# arge1
hint.arge.1.at="nexus0"
hint.arge.1.maddr=0x1A000000
hint.arge.1.msize=0x1000
hint.arge.1.irq=3
# PHY4
hint.arge.1.phymask=0x10

Note that on RB433,RB450 the wan port is connected to arge1 and not to
arge0 as usually, so you need to adjust your bootp setup.

In order to keep the original mac address you'll the following patch:
http://loos.no-ip.org/rb/routerboot.diff and then add 'options
AR71XX_ROUTERBOOT' to kernel file.

The etherswitch doesn't support the switch chip on RB433 right now,
but i'm working on this.

Luiz