Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:17:57 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Firewalling a CIFS fileserver from the evil world.

Hi all,

I've been trying to firewall some Samba fileservers off from a LAN while
retaining (only) CIFS traffic. As I have found some old hardware that can
function as a small time gateway, I'd like to put the fileservers on a
separate Ethernet.

.--------.
`--------'     |                 .---[ windows workstation ]
   .--------.  |   .---------.   +-- [ windows workstation ]
   `--------'      `---------'   +-- .....

                              .------.
                              | adsl |--/.
                              `------'

(The samba* and gateway are FreeBSD boxes)

I would like the Samba fileservers to be only reachable via the CIFS
protocol (they should be able to query other boxes too) and deny any
other traffic, and I wonder what ipfw rules I could inject into the
gateway so the samba servers have some sense of "physical" security.

Is there anybody who has a ipfw-ruleset that allows (nothing but) CIFS
traffic, or can point me in the direction of a good description of the
CIFS protocol so I can make a better attempt? I guess it has been done
before, but could not find anything useful on the web...

Thanks in advance!
w.

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>