Date:      	Sun, 5 Feb 1995 12:36:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
To:        Ed Hudson <elh@p5.spnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, elh@spnet.com
Subject:   Re: kernel limits

On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Ed Hudson wrote:

> 	i'd like to request that you folks consider 2 changes
> 	to kernel limits to be incorporated in the general
> 	release.
>
> 	in order for me to do the sort of work that i do
> 	(chip design, cad development), the first thing
> 	that i do with each new release of FBSD is change these
> 	limits.  i know of other organizations using FBSD
> 	(or NBSD) in real engineering applications, and they
> 	have similar problems with the current limtis.

  Why not provide several different kernels that could be copied over
the generic kernel?  Some suggestions:

  - IDE only kernel.  Many people only have IDE drives, keeping out all
the SCSI drivers would probably save some space.

  - SCSI only kernel.  No IDE driver.

  - PRO Kenerl.  Extra high limits on symlinks, users, processes, etc.

Tom