Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:55:34 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Frank Altpeter <frank@altpeter.de>
Subject:   Re: SCSI parity error detected

As Gérard Roudier wrote:

> > Ah no.  AFAICT, all that Sun's doing here is addings their "SUNxxG" to
> > the vendor string so their tools can quickly identify and categorize
> > their disks.
>
> Very probably. But it just makes their firmware suspicious.
> What a questionnable value-added.

Well, from your point of view it might be questionable.  From their
point of view (in particular from format(1m)'s point of view) it has
some value, since regardless of which vendor their "SUN9G" drive is
from, they use all those drives with the same settings, so they are
interchangeable in the field.  They might lose a few sectors for some
drive, depending on the actual model used, but that doesn't hurt much.

> I donnot know all hard disks in existence. Is this one wide capable?

Yep, all the Sun SCA disks are wide-capable.

> But the driver cannot guess it. And it doesn't understand the
> Dawicontrol settings from NVRAM (if some exists).

Don't know about the NVRAM in Dawicontrol.  According to Frank, it at
least doesn't have much BIOS knobs.  If there is NVRAM, it should
never attempt to negotiate wide, since the entire controller is narrow
only.

> Note that when the driver negotiates Wide, it negotiates also Sync
> immediately without any DATA phase occurring and reports the new
> parameters to CAM. As a result, the new transfer settings should be
> printed to the syslog prior to any further DATA phase.

I think Frank posted all relevant messages in his initial mail.

> OTOH, if there is no such message in the log, it could well be the
> initial INQUIRY response that got a SCSI PARITY error. The problem
> might then be the/a SCSI PARITY signal not being properly
> driven/connected.

Hmm, but it used to be connected with the AHA1542.