Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 22:37:51 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        committers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   New DES library for secure/

Hi

As per the WP a while back, the DES library in eBones is to be
replaced by a more up-to-date copy.

I have a proposal, and I would appreciate it if we could thrash this
one out with some speed so we can get cracking and use it, if possible
:-)

I am going to be using the crypto library from Eric Young. Not only
does it have DES, but it also has IDEA, RSA etc.

Some of this stuff is Illegal (or at least touchy) for use in the US,
but I would not like to make it totally inacessible, so I am suggesting
that this library get built a little like libc does, with lots of
subdirectories and the main Makefile containing constructs of the form

# Next line mandatory - the library contains at least DES
.include "${.CURDIR}/des/Makefile.inc"

.if exists(rsa)
.include "${.CURDIR}/rsa/Makefile.inc"
.endif

.if exists(idea)
.include "${.CURDIR}/idea/Makefile.inc"
.endif

And so on; _or_

# Next line mandatory - the library contains at least DES
.include "${.CURDIR}/des/Makefile.inc"

.include "${.CURDIR}/rsa/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/idea/Makefile.inc"
:
:

with each subdirectory having US-illegal code defauting to containing
only a "do nothing" Makefile.inc.

This way, The US code can contain that which is perfectly legal there,
and I (or anyone else) will be able to build a more complete crypto
library by creating and populating the appropriate directories.

I have started to build such a Makefile, and include it at the end of this
mail.

BTW - if this happens, the library can no longer be called 'libdes'.
How would everyone feel about a new name? (Eric Young calls it
'libcrypto').

#	@(#)Makefile	8.2 (Berkeley) 2/3/94
#
#	$Id$

LIB=crypto
CFLAGS+=	-Wall -I${.CURDIR} -I${.CURDIR}/../include -I- -DPROTO
CLEANFILES+=	tags
PRECIOUSLIB=	yes

.include "${.CURDIR}/des/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/buffer/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/error/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/idea/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/lhash/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/md/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/pem/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/rc4/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/rsa/Makefile.inc"
.include "${.CURDIR}/x509/Makefile.inc"

tags: ${SRCS}
	ctags ${.ALLSRC:M*.c}
	egrep -o "^ENTRY(.*)|^FUNC(.*)|^SYSCALL(.*)" ${.ALLSRC:M*.s} | \
	    >> tags; sort -o tags tags

.include <bsd.lib.mk>
--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa