Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:13:43 +0000
From:      Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com>
To:        Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_32_bit_fix=3f_=28Was_Re:_Meltdown_=e2=80=93_Spectre?= =?UTF-8?Q?=29?=

Hi.

Many of those appliances are marketed as being able to make your files
available to you, even when you're not at home.  (Music, photos etc.)
They come with crude mobile app's (among other things, to monetize the
user) and the security/authentication varies from so so, to nil.
(Guess what most users opt for, because "it's difficult" to do it
securely.)   Remember, we're talking about Joe Public, not a sysadmin!

That, and they either punch holes in the router using UPnP, or people (I
know one) place them in a DMZ, again, because it's easy, and "it just
works."   What else is then exposed, who knows?

The rest as they say, one day will be history.   Using Shodan, it is not
difficult to find admin login pages on the public internet, for all
sorts of bits of equipment and other gadgetry.

Take care.

Dave B