Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:46:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        Gene Harris <geneh@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd basic setup help (resolved!)

Gene Harris wrote:
> For the connection [FreeBSD_box]---[DSL modem], you may need a cross
> over cable to connect the NIC to the DSL modem.

Oh I think you misunderstood, and I didn't clarify about the cabling. The
connection between the BSD box and the DSL modem is fine, using the cable
that came with the DSL modem. The link failures occur when it's:

[DSL modem]-----[regular port on switch] using DSL modem's cable
or
[FreeBSD_box]---[uplink port on switch] using different cable

I hadn't tried every possible cable combination. I also think these
results are to be expected.

> Unless you need to perform static NAT, you do not need to redirect any
> addresses.

Ah, OK. You're right, I have no need to initiate connections to the boxes
behind the firewall, so no need for redirects.

>  My natd.conf looks like:
> log                     yes
> use_sockets             yes
> same_ports              yes
> unregistered_only       yes
> interface               xl0

Does the interface line here supercede natd_interface="xl0" in rc.conf?

> For the firewall to become active, you need to add
> firewall_enable="YES" to your /etc/rc.conf

Yeesh, can't believe I missed that. Thanks! This, plus making my natd.conf
look like yours did the trick. I also added 10.0.0.* entries in my
/etc/hosts file.

All seems to be well, at least with the open firewall. All boxes including
the BSD box can talk to the outside world, and to each other.

I appreciate the help here, especially in light of the fact that
the Complete FreeBSD, the Handbook and the man pages don't quite cover
everything one needs to do...

Thanks again.

-Mike