Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:51:03 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        Scott Donovan <scottd@telstra.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT848/winTV/Teletext/video4linux etc.

Roger:
 |I think we should standarise on the newer Video4Linux Version 2 API.
 |Unlike classic V4L, this API has a userland library so you do not need
 |to clone all the ioctls exactly.
 |And the author is quite happy to rename it to something like
 |Video4Unix  (ie drop the linux part)

Sounds good.  From your recommendation, I'm assuming that the API and
top-level support software isn't released under (or if so, can be
relicensed without) GPL or LPGL.  That seems pretty important since we'll
be linking with it -- and I hear everywhere about the GNU
infect-through-linking license policy.

 |However,  I will add. But perhaps someone would like to create a libtv
 |or libvideo

Right.  libtv/libvideo would be part of this userland API we're talking
about.  Shouldn't be too tough.  I see it taking longer coming up with an
API which will meet everyone's current needs.

Randall