Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:20:40 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Peter Avalos" <pavalos@theshell.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: file: table is full

At 12:22 AM 2/21/2001 -0600, Peter Avalos wrote:
>I'm not that familiar with lsof, but I definitely got a different result:
>
>#> lsof | wc -l
>    18493
>#> sysctl kern.openfiles
>kern.openfiles: 15958
>
>Is there an easy way to sort the info from lsof so I can better determine
>where these fd's are being used? I don't feel like parsing through 18493
>lines by hand.

Check the man pages. | sort can also be handy... Unless you really have
thousands of processes running, a pattern should be somewhat obvious. Send
the output to a file and do a simple sort based on the command or PID. If
you see one program with the vast lion's share start to look at it. even
something like

lsof | awk '{print $1 "\t" $2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

         ---Mike