Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:43:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Steve Spicklemire <steve@spvi.com>
Cc:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bsdneophyte@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: compile kernel first or make world first?

Steve Spicklemire <steve@spvi.com> types:
> On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 01:40 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Now reboot. It's actually best to be in single user mode for the
> > install world and mergemaster, but it's generally not a problem.
> Good point... but what about us poor slobs who admin remote machines.
> Are there any things we can do other than run this process in multiuser
> mode?

Like I said, it's generally not a problem. Since remote installs are
typically production machines, I assume you've tested the code you're
installing before you do it so there shouldn't be a failure. You might
consider doing an NFS mount of /usr/src and /usr/obj from the test
machine to make sure you're installing tested binaries.

If you've got a serial console you can access remotely (recommended),
you can always get to single-user after installing the new kernel by
going multi-user then doing a shutdown. I do this for NFS installs, as
it's the simplest way to get the network up. If there is a failure in
this case, you're pretty much hosed - which is why you test before
doing it.

Finally, there's at least one VGA/serial card designed for remote
admined machines. It turns VGA accesses into ANSI control sequences on
the serial line and incoming characters into keystrokes, so you can
use the BIOS screens like you were sitting at the machine.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.