Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:22:22 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asmtp 587 - quickie faq submission

Ok, here is the latest&greatest version:

FAQ Submission: ASMTP
Q: What is ASMTP?
A: Authenticated SMTP, as explained in RFC 2554

Q: What is ASMTP good for?
A: Allow the SMTP server to authenticate users before allowing them to
use the smtp service for sending mail.  Useful if you have roaming users
that connect from foreign networks (e.g. hotel somewhere).

Q: How do I or my users make use of ASMTP?
A: The user's email client needs to be configured to authenticate
themselves to the smtp server.  Earthlink has a FAQ section explaining
various email client configurations at
http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/Help_FAQ/7280.psc.html

Q: How do I implement ASMTP on my mail server?