Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:09:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regarding all the user-supplied databases

We've seen a number of demands for WWW page contents that should be
changable without a maintainer's action.

This is a call for more place where such a beast is needed so I can
direct my search on focus.

So far I have:

1) Some sort of FAQ database. While the main FAQ can be kept tight,
the idea is to have a database of FAQ submission that can be searched
by users. Submissions to the database should be nearly unrestricted,
something like a mailing list where people can be sure every message
contains a complete solution description for a given problem.

What we need, not only for the FAQ, is a mechanism, where
WWW-accessable material can be submitted without action from the
server maintainer.

It should also be possible for the original author to update his/her
own submission (passwd-protected) and other people should be able to
submit followups that appear besides the original messages.

2) Commercial entries should be editable by the responsible parties
(once someone approved the company is serious and gave them a passwd
or such).

3) FreeBSD-related projects should have pages that can be changed by
outside people. See www.netbsd.org for an example project page.

N) If you have something in that line, drop me a note, please.

I started looking into tools to do so, using GNATS seems overpowered,
using simple mailing lists/ml-seraching underpowered.

Before I continue, help me outlining demands.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer