Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:13:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net>
To:        Abercromby James TSgt 31CS/SCBBMA <James.Abercromby@aviano.af.mil>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-newbies@Freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation Woes

Sgt,

Check the FreeBSD website for the 3.4 errata.  What you are experiencing
*might* be related to the sysinstall program that shipped on the 3.4-R
CDs.  I had that SIG11 trouble for days.  In the end, I downloaded the
updated file and created the boot.flp and mfsroot.flp disks and booted and
installed (from the CD) using them.  It takes a little longer to initially
get to the installer screens, but once you do you're home-free.

HTH,

--gill

Remember?  When you said:

->Peter,
->
->Went home last night and physically changed over my harddrive configuration
->
->
->-Win98 is on a Samsung 1.2Gig drive as the primary slave.
->
->-FreeBSD 3.4 is on a MaXtor 17.2gig drive as primary master.
->
->	Then I set my bios up to auto detect the drives, cool.
->Then installed Win98 on the Samsung 1.2 gig.-No problems.
->Then went and installed FreeBSD 3.4 (over and over and over)
->
->	1- Fdisk for wd0 leave it alone press Q
->	   -- Select the BootMGR for wd0
->	2- Fdisk for wd1-Create 2 slices for FreeBSD
->		wd1s1-8000M/wd1s2-8400M
->         -- Select the BootMGR also for wd1 (is this what I am doing wrong?)
->	- Disk Labeler
->		- wd0 leave alone
->		- wd1s1 - Accept the default
->		- wd1s2 - creat one big label for the whole thing /store
->Then continue on-it creates the filesystems fine and finishes
->, but then when it gos to the next step in the install it
->SIG11s on me and you have no choice but to reboot and start all over.
->
->Also, check this out one time right after finishing up writing the
->filesystems when it gos to the next step in the install
->it was trying to access the cdrom and it flaked out on me
->saying it couldn't find anything.  But... when the kernel loaded
->I know it found it no problem.  Also, the cd works find in windows
->and Slackware so....?
->
->The CDROM is a Kenwood 40X ide/atapi put by some low brow company
->called Hi-VAL.
->
->I other question, this Maxtor 17.2 gig drive had this goofy setup
->disk, etc.  I tried to use it but it seemed like a waste of time.
->Think it could have done something strange to it.  Should I run
->a low level format on it?
->
->So after trying a million different variations of the above fdisk/label
->wise.
->I just gave up and rebooted and the booteasy menu came up I selected dos,
->and
->lo and behold win98 boots fine.  Tried to select Disk 1 by pressing F5 and
->then I get FreeBSD select F1 FreeBSD select F2.
->If I select F1 or F2 I get
->- the little / that spins around but it just hangs.
->- or invalid partition.
->
->
->