Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 17:32:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA: more Promise Ultra wedges

It seems Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Søren,
>
> It looks like I spoke to soon when I said the world was safe for
> Promise Ultra users:
>
> ad3: ad_timeout: lost disk contact - resetting
> ata4: resetting devices .. ad3: HARD WRITE ERROR blk# 6594768ad3: DMA problem en
> countered, fallback to PIO mode
> ad3: DMA problem encountered, fallback to PIO mode
> done
> ad1: UDMA CRC READ ERROR blk# 10522095 retrying
> ad3: ad_timeout: lost disk contact - resetting
> ata4: resetting devices .. done

Is the above all info, or is it snipped somehow, its looks a bit wierd..

> At this point the machine is unpingable & will not respond to a break
> on the console.  This is with a ccd stripe set, striped across 4
> Maxtor "Diamondmax" drives attached one per channel to 2 Promise Ultra
> cards.  `The kernel sources are dated slightly before the build time in
> the below boot messages.  (I'd have given you verbose messages, but
> this is a transcript from the serial console logs & the machine is
> wedged solid right now). I'm running with a timeout of 30 seconds as I
> was hoping to avoid a 'lost contact - resetting' situation as all hell
> breaks loose when those appear.
>
> BTW, I'd really like a tunable or some way to prevent a permanent
> fallback to PIO.  I'm more than willing to tolerate one hard error per
> week or so on a disk which sees 10s of gigabytes of data read &
> written between errors.

Hmm, I'll think about what we can do here...

> The driver was much more stable back in July when (I guess) you just
> ignored errors.  Using a July kernel, this machine will stay up for
> months with nothing but the occasional:
>
> ad3: status=51 error=84
> ad_interrupt: hard error
>
> It never looses contact, never wedges.  Oh for the good old days..

Hmm, back then you would get hosed data without knowing it, you
feel better taht way ? I dont :) but I need to solve the hanging
problem, I'll agree on that, anybody having a couple of bad disks
I could borrow :)

-Søren