Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:45:23 -0700
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:03, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
>> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
>> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.
>
> The most straightforward solution would be to build out and validate a ne=
w system running FreeBSD-7.4 or 8.2, and drop it in place of the old box. =
=C2=A0If all is good, decommission the old hardware.

I agree. I've already got a new VM started with 8.2. I'm trying to see
if I can migrate the data to the new host, but it's not finished yet,
and the old box's ports aren't functioning and can't be upgraded, so
I'm stuck in a bit of a scramble.

>> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
>> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
>> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
>> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
>> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
>> freebsd-update to 7.4?
>
> You can do either. =C2=A0However, it's probably easier to just download a=
nd burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be d=
o upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.

Gotta love conflicting answers from you and Adam

I've got an ISO of 7.4. I think I'll do a dump of my data to a remote
machine, do the update, and see what that gets me.

Thanks,

Kurt