Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:50:52 +0400
From:      "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD.local.dist - share/locale

On 8/24/06, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:26:53 -0500, Andrew Pantyukhin
> <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > I can't help thinking that the way we're trying to deal with
> > locale directories is far from optimal. IMHO, there are
> > several ways to improve the state of things:
>
> I think the current how we handle locale is a bit silly, so I personal in
> favor of create localehier like misc/gnomehier than four suggested below..
> Honestly, I would be more rather to put mtree that is for ports in
> somewhere of /usr/ports/ than /etc/mtree/ that way any version of FreeBSD
> won't have any of left over directories problem.

It's a good idea, but we're back at the second question -
what if someone fancies to pkg_delete -xf gnomehier?
There will be no way to get a clean system after that
other than by reinstalling gnomehier and deleting it after
all the ports requiring it.

And in case we ignore it and say that one should not
deinstall a foo-dep before foo, then the whole point of
the latest locale-related pkg-plist fixes is lost.