Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:14:49 -0800
From:      Lyubomir Grigorov <lyubomir@grigorovl.eu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, nwhitehorn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POWER3 / IBM 7028-6E1

--nextPart1381595.635mJFZm2r

>The 64-bit kernelwill certainly not work, as it depends on the newer MMU=20
>architecture >introduced with the POWER4.
NetBSD is in the same state, only 32-bit kernel boots. Debian Linux (and ot=
her=20
distros I assume) are able to boot a 64-bit kernel on that machine, though.

>I don't know a lot about POWER3. Your hardware isn't supported, for sure.=
=20
>It's possible the 9.0 PowerPC builds do something on it, and it would be=20
>interesting to see what if you feel like trying. If it manages to print=20
>anything to console, it's possible support could be added.
My machine didn't recognize the CD as bootable. I went through the image, b=
ut=20
I didn't find yaboot. Are you using it?

I ended up installing the ofppc port of NetBSD. It was just popping in the =
CD=20
and booting. I had to tweak it a bit, but it boots and works now.
This is my first exposure to NetBSD and it's a bit different. I wish FreeBS=
D=20
could work on the machine. One thing to note is that this is the ofppc (ope=
n=20
firmware) port of NetBSD, not the ppc one (which is for macs).

What are the chances of a "working" version of FreeBSD booting on POWER3-II=
? I=20
doubt this will help at all, but here is the dmesg from NetBSD along with s=
ome=20
info on Open Firmware that troubled me booting:

http://grigorovl.eu/hardware/netbsd-5-1-on-ibm-pseries-610-7028-6e1/

Cheers.
=2D-
Lyubomir Grigorov (bgalakazam)