Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:05:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to remove old utmp entry?

Dear questions,

I have a system that appears to have an entry that is stale, and I was
hoping someone could shed some light as to how to remove the entry.

# w
 2:38PM  up 117 days,  2:57, 2 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.08, 0.03
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
root             p0       shelly.metachar.  2:32PM     - w
root             p1       hindu.ny.razorfi 22Jun00 73days -

So the problem here is that the user root on tty p1 is no longer logged
in, yet it still appears as output from the w program.  From the man
page, I learned that I can do "w -d" for it to list processes as well, and
it is confirmed, there are no processes running as root on tty p1.  I
checked the process list using ps as well, and I was unable to find any
processes associated with root on tty p1.  I am running FreeBSD
3.3-RELEASE.  Does anyone know of any way to remove that stale utmp entry?

I'd normally just reboot it, but this server has a 117 day uptime and,
well, I want to eventually brag to friends and coworkers about FreeBSD's
stability.  eheheh

thanks for any help with this,

mohan