Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:10:36 +0100
From:      Marc Veldman <lurkie@pi.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN

On 3/22/98 Brandon Lockhart wrote:

> will disconnect, then once a connection is attempted, it would connect.
> And it would only use one B channel until 2 where needed.  Is there a way
> I can turn that option off?

Yes, you can turn it off.

> So I am always connected and both channels
> are always in use.  Since this is a dedicated connection, I won't be
> getting billed for my time online, so I might as well have full capacity.

Am I wrong in getting the impression that you will have a leased line ?
If so, the pipeline has options for that too.

> Also, do you recomend any other sort of router that I should look into?
> So far I know I need a few things.  The router should be able to be
> plugged directly into my HUB, it should bond both channels for me already,

It comes with all the network cable you need, but you might need serial
cable to set it up for the first time, after that, you can always set
it up via the network. If you only have one computer to connect to
the router, you don't a hub. A cross-connect cable comes with it.

> without any special configuration.  If the config is easy, that is fine
> too.  I would like one where I can filter TCP and ICMP packets, but that
> is not necessary.  Also, I have a question about the way the router is

Configuring is fairly easy, and it also has options for filtering.

> used.  Below are some drawings.
>                                                    _____ Computer 1
> ====isdn line from phone company===<Router>--<Hub>'----- Computer 2
>                                                   `----- Etc..

> Is that how a normal configuration would go?  Say Computer 1 was FreeBSD,
> and #2 was Windows NT.  I would have 16 IP's for 3 computers on this

> particular example.  With the router, could I assign 1.1.1.2 though
> 1.1.1.14 to the FreeBSD machine, 1.1.1.15 to the windows NT machine,

As Christopher R. Bowman said in his reply, you would only be able to use

1.1.1.1 through 1.1.1.14.

1.1.1.0 would be the network address, and 1.1.1.15 would be the broadcast address,
assuming of course that your netmask is set to:

255.255.255.240

> 1.1.1.16 to the other computer, then 1.1.1.1 to the router.  Would I make
> the gateway for #1, #2, and #3 1.1.1.1?  What would the broadcast be?  If
> I assigned those addresses to the FreeBSD machine for VHOSTS, would I have
> to do anything to the router?  Below is an example I am curious about.

> ====isdn===<Router>==<Computer #1 (firewall)===<hub>--- Computer #2
> 						    `-- Computer #3
> Then would I make 1.1.1.2 (#1) the gateway on #2 and #3, and on #1 make
> the gateway 1.1.1.1?

This setup would not be a good idea, since based on the above netmask,
all computers would be in the same subnet, while in this setup you actually
need two subnets, seperated by comp #1.

Computer #1, which should have two network cards, should have one card set to
1.1.2.2 (for example) and the router to 1.1.2.2.
The 172.16.xxx.xxx series is an example.
Also, with the firewall, you run your own network behind it, and you would not
be limited to 14 network addresses.
If you would want internet access, then it would also be a good idea to choose
network addresses that are not assigned in the internet.

> Third and final true question, If I got a regular ISDN router, would I
> need a TA?

If all you want to do is network over ISDN, then no.

> Ok, 4th question, last, honestly, is all this trouble worth
> it?

To me it was, it is a lot easier to set up than a computer with ISDN card/TA,
router software etc......

My fl. 0.02,

Marc Veldman