Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:12:01 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>, freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to remove setgid kmem from top

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 12:04:44PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> This is great -- I won't have a chance to look in detail at your patches
> for a bit, but it seems that this is a great step forwards.  I don't
> suppose you want to now turn your interest to netstat, vmstat, iostat,
> dmesg, nfsstat, pstat, and systat? :-)  Much of the information needed in
> many of these is already exported -- in my mind systat is the most
> important as it links against ncurses and provides an interactive
> interface.  Also, systat is least likely to suffer from the "but it won't
> work on a kernel dump" syndrome as it is generally not used for a post
> mortem.

Actually, working on a kernel dump has absolutely nothing to do with
suid/sgid-ness, IMHO..  I might be terribly wrong here, but doesn't
sgidness come because the utilities must examine the core kernel memory -
which is all in the dump file?  If working on a dump, do *stat really
need access to the memory/symbols of the *running* kernel?

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.