Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:28:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        David@SkytrackerCanada.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What kind of ISP/connection am I looking for?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, David Banning wrote:

> I guess I'm looking for terminology here - if I want to have my in-house
> machine as the server - how do I go about getting that up and running?
> What is the thing I should be asking ISP's to provide me with?

One thing that comes to mind right away is that if you're running a
server with a dynamic IP, you'll need some sort of dynamic DNS service.
Maybe your ISP will provide that, maybe they won't. A friend of mine
uses dyndns.org (or was it dyndns.com) and has ongoing hassles with
hosting a domain there.

Personally I've always had a static IP, and I'd look for DSL service
which offered that.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape