Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 19:55:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Martin Heller <mheller@student.uni-kl.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

On Wed, Dec 24, 1997 at 11:42:18PM +0100, Martin Heller wrote:

>>> Wait, I've got a buddy that's been trying to figure out how to read
>>> an audio DAT tape and write it to a CD audio track.  Is there a
>>> known solution???
>>
>> With enough effort, there's always a solution.
>
> Getting Audio data from a DAT is not trivial.
> To do this you need a special ROM on your
> DAT drive, SGI DATs are the only ones to have such a beast AFAIK.
> There is no known way around this problem - ever put a audio DAT
> tape into a DAT streamer ?

Yup, and I've written data to them, too.

> my DAT doesnt like them and throws them out.

More modern DDS drives have a thing called MRS (Media Recognition
System), which causes them to reject cartridges which are incorrectly
coded, including a number of older data grade cartridges.  You can
disable this feature on most drives.  I don't know whether this is
sufficient to read DATs, however.

>>> I know he'd be *very* interested if there was, as he's been trying
>>> to figure it out for a few months (on and off).
>>
>> There's a lot more involved than just copying.  IIRC, CDs record at
>> 41.4 ksamples/second, and DATs record at 44 or 48 ksamples/second, so
>> you'd effectively have to remaster.  I suppose straight interpolation
>> would work, but it's still a lot of processing.
>
> I do not think that its so esay, but there are  programs for professionals
> who can do this.

Any comments on the difficulty, or the appropriateness of linear
interpolation?  Of course, you'd need to know the block format.

Merry Christmas
Greg