Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:33:01 +0100
From:      "barbara\.xxx1975" <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
To:        "gnome" <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   gecko browsers: cpu usage on idle

# $FreeBSD: ports/www/seamonkey/Makefile,v 1.254 2006/10/14 08:53:36 marc=
us Exp $

Hello.
I have a long standing problem, resulting in high cpu usage with seamonke=
y. The same apply to mozilla and firefox.
Currently I'm running it on gnome2 2.16.1 but I've noticed it for the fir=
st time on July 2006.
At that time I was using 2.14, installed on the first day it was availabl=
e on ports, on FreeBSD 6.1.
Anyway I can't say this was introduced on 2.14 day zero (I'd say no, but =
I'm really not sure).
This is not present on versions shipped with gnome 2.12.

This is how I can reproduce it on seamonkey or mozilla (for firefox you h=
ave to adjust the keyboard shortcuts or use the mouse)
1) open top on a terminal and seamonkey
2) go to http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/gnome/
3) open in a new tab every image linking a "background"
4) go to the the first of the new opened tab
5) open in a new tab on every link on the gray box reporting "Avaliable R=
esolution", then close the tab
6) repeat step 5 until all the tabs with link are closed and you reach th=
e first one with a background image

The previous steps are needed to have a number of images within subsequen=
t tabs.
So now you should have the first tab with the home page followed by a num=
ber of tabs with images.
The next 3 steps should be done and repeated *fast* until all the tabs ar=
e closed but the first.
7) on the first tab containing an image press ctrl+s to open the save dia=
log (choose a directory only the 1st time)
8) press alt+s to save the image
9) press ctrl+w to close the tab

Check top. the cpu usage is high, even if you keep open only one window w=
ithout tabs and point it to about:blank

On 2.16, *very* rarely, it also crashes with this message, but I don't kn=
ow if it's related to the same problem.
-- Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkfilechooserdefault.c: line 7772 (gtk_file_choose=
r_default_should_respond): assertion failed: (path !=3D NULL)
-- aborting...
-- Abort trap (core dumped)

Feel free to ask whatever test could help!

Cheers

P.S.
As it seems that there are some "reopening" post, I had to say that I als=
o had the infamous "100% cpu nautilus usage" on 2.14.
I use nautilus rarely so I'm not sure it's gone away.
I don't know if it's useful but when it was happening, on ktrace I saw a =
*lot* of gettimeofday, as someone else said in a nautilus thread.
The same on seamonkey, with a very vary rapid growing ktace output.
Maybe the problem is in a common underlying component?

uname -v
FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Oct 23 06:18:57 CEST 2006     root@satanas=
so.local.domain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SATANASSO
=0A